Care Tips To Keep Your Carpet
Fresh, Clean & Healthy
Watch Referral’s Carpet Care Tips Here
- Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum. As a general rule vacuum traffic areas 3 to 5 times per week. This will prevent dirt from settling into the carpet. Walking on dirt and grit that has settled to the base of the fibers causes an abrasive action, which results in the appearance of traffic lanes and worn areas.
- Clean up spills immediately, before they become permanent stains. You may refer to our online spotting guide. This will provide you with directions on how to proceed in removing spills. You may also call us at 260-483-4383 and we will give you assistance on how to properly remove the spill.
- Have your carpet professionally cleaned by Referral on a regular basis. Carpet Manufacturers recommend professional cleaning at least every 6-18 months depending on the amount of “traffic” in the house. (i.e. kids, pets, shoes, etc.) Clean high traffic areas about twice as often as other areas. Call Referral at 260-483-4383 to set up your next cleaning appointment.
- Reapply Scotchgard Carpet Protector each time the carpet is cleaned to keep stains from setting in and the soil from grinding in.
- Place walk-off mats or bound remnants on top of the carpet at high wear areas, such as in front of the sofa or chairs and entry/exit points from your home to absorb soil and moisture. Clean mats on a regular basis so they don’t become sources of soil themselves. Be sure to check area rugs for colorfastness before placing them on the carpet because the color in some rugs may bleed through or rubber back rugs can discolor the carpet below.
- Keep your garage floor and driveway clean by sweeping and pressure spraying to eliminate soil that can be tracked inside.
- Place smooth plastic chair mats to help prevent carpet delamination and excessive wear.
- Place all plants on a plate or saucer to collect any excess water instead of allowing it to run out onto your carpet.
- If your carpet is loose or needs to be repaired, contact a carpet retailer or installer to arrange repairs.
- Rearrange furniture to change the flow of traffic through a room to prevent worn traffic areas.
- Prevent contact with household chemicals that can permanently discolor your carpet such as bleach, toilet bowl cleaner, acme medicine, plant fertilizer, pesticides & swimming pool chemicals.
- Remove your shoes when you enter your home.
- Control the circulation and disposal of food and drink through the home.
- Reduce periods of direct sunlight to prevent color fading. Use blinds and shades or window tinting.
- Use a powerful upright vacuum with a beater brush and excellent filtration system for carpets. Be sure to change the disposable bag often to ensure efficient operation. Click here to view CRI – Carpet & Rug Institute approved vaccuums
- Download a carpet and rug care guide from the Carpet & Rug Institute.
- Take your vacuum in for a checkup at the vacuum repair shop annually to keep it operating at peak performance. Visit Service All Vacuums online at www.serviceallvacuum.com
- 1029 E. Dupont Road 46825 #260-482-2258
- 3211 East State 46805 #260-483- 8421
- 5956 West Jefferson Blvd 46804 #260-387-8767
- Mention our company and present this page to get a vacuum tune-up for $19.95