Tips to Prevent Pet Urine Stains & Odor on your Homes Carpet / Fabric.
1- Remove any existing pet urine stains / odors from carpet and fabric.
Have Referral professionally treat pet urine stains and odors. If the pet smells urine odor they may assume it’s ok to relieve themselves again or . If the odor is properly treated and the carpet thoroughly clean previous odors or triggers will be removed.
2-Train your pet
Local Classes / Trainers
- Free 90 Minute Pet Parenting Class offered by Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control www.cityoffortwayne.org/free-pet-parenting-class.html
- Allen County SPCA www.acspca.org
- Animal Training & Development www.dogtrainersinc.com
- Canine Companion by Certified Trainers www.caninecompanion.us
- Dog Psychology and Training Center www.trainingthepack.com
- Flying Colors Canine Academy www.flyingcolorscanine.com
- Fort Wayne Obedience Training Club www.fwotc.com
- Green Dog Training www.greendoggoods.com
- My Best Friend Dog Training www.mybestfrienddogtraining.com
- Pampered Pets Bed and Biscuit www.ppbandb.com
- Riju Dawg Skool www.rijudawgskool.com
Articles from the Humane Society – Click the links below for answers.
- Are You and Your Cat Ready for Litter Box Success?
- Top Five Reasons Your Cat Isn’t Using the Litter Box
- Help Your Cat Resolve Litter Box Issues?
- Housetraining Puppies?
- Housetraining Adult and Senior dogs
- What to Do If Your Cat Is Marking Territory
- Urine-Marking: Why Dogs Mark Their Territory
- Dogs: Submissive Urination—Why Your Dog Does It and How to Help Him Stop
- Dogs: Excitement Urination
3-Use Dog Gates or Install Invisible Fence.
Visit www.fortwayne.invisiblefence.com or www.saferpetfence.com to learn how you can keep pets out of specific areas inside and outside of your home. Another quick fix is to use a dog gate to keep a pet in or out of a room.
4-Install Moisture Barrier Pad
If you replace your carpeting and are concerned about pet accidents, consider installing a carpet pad with a moisture barrier. The pet stain will still need cleaned and deodorized to remove it from the carpet using the same odor removing process. In fact a larger area may need cleaned then is visible from the surface since the urine will spread out when it contacts the plastic. However this moisture barrier pad will prevent the urine from soaking down into the carpet pad/cushion and subfloor. This is considered a premium pad so you will pay more money for it and if you suffer a water damage and the carpet/pad are flooded this pad is difficult to extract/dry so it must be removed and replaced.